关键字:激励、责任、不放弃

http://player.youku.com/player.php/sid/XMjUxNjYwMjQ4/v.swf

REMARKS BY THE PRESIDENT IN A NATIONAL ADDRESS TO AMERICA'S SCHOOLCHILDREN
Wakefield High School, Arlington, Virginia
September 8, 2009

北京老K 发表于 2011-5-22 10:02

本帖最后由 北京老K 于 2011-5-22 10:04 编辑

THE PRESIDENT:

Hello, everybody! Thank you. Thank you. Thank you, everybody. All right, everybody go ahead and have a seat. How is everybody doing today? (Applause.) How about Tim Spicer? (Applause.) I am here with students at Wakefield High School in Arlington, Virginia. And we've got students tuning in from all across America, from kindergarten through 12th grade. And I am just so glad that all could join us today. And I want to thank Wakefield for being such an outstanding host. Give yourselves a big round of applause. (Applause.)

I know that for many of you, today is the first day of school. And for those of you in kindergarten, or starting middle or high school, it's your first day in a new school, so it's understandable if you're a little nervous. I imagine there are some seniors out there who are feeling pretty good right now -- (applause) -- with just one more year to go. And no matter what grade you're in, some of you are probably wishing it were still summer and you could've stayed in bed just a little bit longer this morning.

I know that feeling. When I was young, my family lived overseas. I lived in Indonesia for a few years. And my mother, she didn't have the money to send me where all the American kids went to school, but she thought it was important for me to keep up with an American education. So she decided to teach me extra lessons herself, Monday through Friday. But because she had to go to work, the only time she could do it was at 4:30 in the morning.

Now, as you might imagine, I wasn't too happy about getting up that early. And a lot of times, I'd fall asleep right there at the kitchen table. But whenever I'd complain, my mother would just give me one of those looks and she'd say, "This is no picnic for me either, buster." (Laughter.)

So I know that some of you are still adjusting to being back at school. But I'm here today because I have something important to discuss with you. I'm here because I want to talk with you about your education and what's expected of all of you in this new school year.
Now, I've given a lot of speeches about education. And I've talked about responsibility a lot.

I've talked about teachers' responsibility for inspiring students and pushing you to learn.
I've talked about your parents' responsibility for making sure you stay on track, and you get your homework done, and don't spend every waking hour in front of the TV or with the Xbox.

I've talked a lot about your government's responsibility for setting high standards, and supporting teachers and principals, and turning around schools that aren't working, where students aren't getting the opportunities that they deserve.

But at the end of the day, we can have the most dedicated teachers, the most supportive parents, the best schools in the world -- and none of it will make a difference, none of it will matter unless all of you fulfill your responsibilities, unless you show up to those schools, unless you pay attention to those teachers, unless you listen to your parents and grandparents and other adults and put in the hard work it takes to succeed. That's what I want to focus on today: the responsibility each of you has for your education.

I want to start with the responsibility you have to yourself. Every single one of you has something that you're good at. Every single one of you has something to offer. And you have a responsibility to yourself to discover what that is. That's the opportunity an education can provide.

Maybe you could be a great writer -- maybe even good enough to write a book or articles in a newspaper -- but you might not know it until you write that English paper -- that English class paper that's assigned to you. Maybe you could be an innovator or an inventor -- maybe even good enough to come up with the next iPhone or the new medicine or vaccine -- but you might not know it until you do your project for your science class. Maybe you could be a mayor or a senator or a Supreme Court justice -- but you might not know that until you join student government or the debate team.

And no matter what you want to do with your life, I guarantee that you'll need an education to do it. You want to be a doctor, or a teacher, or a police officer? You want to be a nurse or an architect, a lawyer or a member of our military? You're going to need a good education for every single one of those careers. You cannot drop out of school and just drop into a good job. You've got to train for it and work for it and learn for it.

And this isn't just important for your own life and your own future. What you make of your education will decide nothing less than the future of this country. The future of America depends on you. What you're learning in school today will determine whether we as a nation can meet our greatest challenges in the future.

You'll need the knowledge and problem-solving skills you learn in science and math to cure diseases like cancer and AIDS, and to develop new energy technologies and protect our environment. You'll need the insights and critical-thinking skills you gain in history and social studies to fight poverty and homelessness, crime and discrimination, and make our nation more fair and more free. You'll need the creativity and ingenuity you develop in all your classes to build new companies that will create new jobs and boost our economy.

We need every single one of you to develop your talents and your skills and your intellect so you can help us old folks solve our most difficult problems. If you don't do that -- if you quit on school -- you're not just quitting on yourself, you're quitting on your country.

Now, I know it's not always easy to do well in school. I know a lot of you have challenges in your lives right now that can make it hard to focus on your schoolwork.

I get it. I know what it's like. My father left my family when I was two years old, and I was raised by a single mom who had to work and who struggled at times to pay the bills and wasn't always able to give us the things that other kids had. There were times when I missed having a father in my life. There were times when I was lonely and I felt like I didn't fit in.

So I wasn't always as focused as I should have been on school, and I did some things I'm not proud of, and I got in more trouble than I should have. And my life could have easily taken a turn for the worse.

But I was -- I was lucky. I got a lot of second chances, and I had the opportunity to go to college and law school and follow my dreams. My wife, our First Lady Michelle Obama, she has a similar story. Neither of her parents had gone to college, and they didn't have a lot of money. But they worked hard, and she worked hard, so that she could go to the best schools in this country.

Some of you might not have those advantages. Maybe you don't have adults in your life who give you the support that you need. Maybe someone in your family has lost their job and there's not enough money to go around. Maybe you live in a neighborhood where you don't feel safe, or have friends who are pressuring you to do things you know aren't right.

But at the end of the day, the circumstances of your life -- what you look like, where you come from, how much money you have, what you've got going on at home -- none of that is an excuse for neglecting your homework or having a bad attitude in school. That's no excuse for talking back to your teacher, or cutting class, or dropping out of school. There is no excuse for not trying.

Where you are right now doesn't have to determine where you'll end up. No one's written your destiny for you, because here in America, you write your own destiny. You make your own future.

That's what young people like you are doing every day, all across America.

Young people like Jazmin Perez, from Roma, Texas. Jazmin didn't speak English when she first started school. Neither of her parents had gone to college. But she worked hard, earned good grades, and got a scholarship to Brown University -- is now in graduate school, studying public health, on her way to becoming Dr. Jazmin Perez.

I'm thinking about Andoni Schultz, from Los Altos, California, who's fought brain cancer since he was three. He's had to endure all sorts of treatments and surgeries, one of which affected his memory, so it took him much longer -- hundreds of extra hours -- to do his schoolwork. But he never fell behind. He's headed to college this fall.

And then there's Shantell Steve, from my hometown of Chicago, Illinois. Even when bouncing from foster home to foster home in the toughest neighborhoods in the city, she managed to get a job at a local health care center, start a program to keep young people out of gangs, and she's on track to graduate high school with honors and go on to college.

And Jazmin, Andoni, and Shantell aren't any different from any of you. They face challenges in their lives just like you do. In some cases they've got it a lot worse off than many of you. But they refused to give up. They chose to take responsibility for their lives, for their education, and set goals for themselves. And I expect all of you to do the same.

That's why today I'm calling on each of you to set your own goals for your education -- and do everything you can to meet them. Your goal can be something as simple as doing all your homework, paying attention in class, or spending some time each day reading a book. Maybe you'll decide to get involved in an extracurricular activity, or volunteer in your community. Maybe you'll decide to stand up for kids who are being teased or bullied because of who they are or how they look, because you believe, like I do, that all young people deserve a safe environment to study and learn. Maybe you'll decide to take better care of yourself so you can be more ready to learn. And along those lines, by the way, I hope all of you are washing your hands a lot, and that you stay home from school when you don't feel well, so we can keep people from getting the flu this fall and winter.

But whatever you resolve to do, I want you to commit to it. I want you to really work at it.

I know that sometimes you get that sense from TV that you can be rich and successful without any hard work -- that your ticket to success is through rapping or basketball or being a reality TV star. Chances are you're not going to be any of those things.

The truth is, being successful is hard. You won't love every subject that you study. You won't click with every teacher that you have. Not every homework assignment will seem completely relevant to your life right at this minute. And you won't necessarily succeed at everything the first time you try.

That's okay. Some of the most successful people in the world are the ones who've had the most failures. J.K. Rowling's -- who wrote Harry Potter -- her first Harry Potter book was rejected 12 times before it was finally published. Michael Jordan was cut from his high school basketball team. He lost hundreds of games and missed thousands of shots during his career. But he once said, "I have failed over and over and over again in my life. And that's why I succeed."

These people succeeded because they understood that you can't let your failures define you -- you have to let your failures teach you. You have to let them show you what to do differently the next time. So if you get into trouble, that doesn't mean you're a troublemaker, it means you need to try harder to act right. If you get a bad grade, that doesn't mean you're stupid, it just means you need to spend more time studying.

No one's born being good at all things. You become good at things through hard work. You're not a varsity athlete the first time you play a new sport. You don't hit every note the first time you sing a song. You've got to practice. The same principle applies to your schoolwork. You might have to do a math problem a few times before you get it right. You might have to read something a few times before you understand it. You definitely have to do a few drafts of a paper before it's good enough to hand in.

Don't be afraid to ask questions. Don't be afraid to ask for help when you need it. I do that every day. Asking for help isn't a sign of weakness, it's a sign of strength because it shows you have the courage to admit when you don't know something, and that then allows you to learn something new. So find an adult that you trust -- a parent, a grandparent or teacher, a coach or a counselor -- and ask them to help you stay on track to meet your goals.

And even when you're struggling, even when you're discouraged, and you feel like other people have given up on you, don't ever give up on yourself, because when you give up on yourself, you give up on your country.

The story of America isn't about people who quit when things got tough. It's about people who kept going, who tried harder, who loved their country too much to do anything less than their best.

It's the story of students who sat where you sit 250 years ago, and went on to wage a revolution and they founded this nation. Young people. Students who sat where you sit 75 years ago who overcame a Depression and won a world war; who fought for civil rights and put a man on the moon. Students who sat where you sit 20 years ago who founded Google and Twitter and Facebook and changed the way we communicate with each other.

So today, I want to ask all of you, what's your contribution going to be? What problems are you going to solve? What discoveries will you make? What will a President who comes here in 20 or 50 or 100 years say about what all of you did for this country?

Now, your families, your teachers, and I are doing everything we can to make sure you have the education you need to answer these questions. I'm working hard to fix up your classrooms and get you the books and the equipment and the computers you need to learn. But you've got to do your part, too. So I expect all of you to get serious this year. I expect you to put your best effort into everything you do. I expect great things from each of you. So don't let us down. Don't let your family down or your country down. Most of all, don't let yourself down. Make us all proud.

Thank you very much, everybody. God bless you. God bless America. Thank you. (Applause.)

END

亮亮122 发表于 2011-5-22 10:10

k兄,那么长的一篇英文大作看不懂也。

纨绔 发表于 2011-5-22 10:25

虚虚!!!!!过来翻译一下。:lol:lol

烦人 发表于 2011-5-22 10:25

:se:se:victory:

勿忘天堂 发表于 2011-5-22 10:44

我承认我是英盲;P

北京老K 发表于 2011-5-22 10:51

视频有中文字幕,不用管英文。

北京老K 发表于 2011-5-22 10:52

虚虚!!!!!过来翻译一下。
纨绔 发表于 2011-5-22 10:25 static/image/common/back.gif

虚虚,来一下。

随便 发表于 2011-5-22 12:29

我用有道翻译:
总统:

大家好啊!谢谢你。谢谢你。谢谢你,所有人都有好处。好吧,每个人都走在前面,有一个座位。大家都今天要做什么?(喝彩).提姆Spicer怎么样?(喝彩).我在这里用学生在高中尾迹场,弗吉尼亚州阿林顿公墓。而且我们必须从所有学生调到横穿美国,从幼儿园到12年级。而且我才很高兴这都能加入我们的今天。尾迹场,我要感谢的是,谢谢您是这样一位杰出的主人。给自己一个双性恋

江海 发表于 2011-5-22 13:09

:s5:s5:s5:s5:s5

天涯海客 发表于 2011-5-22 15:07

回复 9# 随便

尾迹场是什么场?有道真是太逗了!

cnpolo 发表于 2011-5-22 15:50

酷狗翻译
主席:

大家好!谢谢。谢谢。谢谢大家。好,大家继续前进,有一个席位。怎么今天都好吗? (掌声)蒂姆斯派塞如何? (掌声)我现在与韦克菲尔德高中的阿灵顿,弗吉尼亚州的学生。我们已经得到了来自全国各地的学生收听收看美国各地从幼儿园到12年级。 ,我只是很高兴,我们今天都能参与。我还要感谢东道国是这样一位杰出的韦克菲尔德。给自己一个热烈的掌声。 (掌声)

我知道,你们中许多人来说,今天是开学的第一天。而对于那些你在幼儿园,或启动初中或高中的学校,这是你在新学校的第一天,所以它也是可以理解的,如果你是一个有点紧张。我想有一些老年人在那里谁是现在的感觉很不错 - 只要还有一年去 - (掌声)。而且不管你在哪个年级,你们中的一些人可能希望仍在夏天,你可以多睡一小会儿时间今天早上。

我知道这种感觉。当我年轻时,我的家庭生活在海外。我住在印尼几年。而我的母亲,她没有钱送我上其他美国孩子上的学校,但她认为这是重要的,我跟上了美式教育。于是她决定自己给我补课,周一至周五。但是,因为她不得不去上班,她唯一一次做,而是在早上4:30。

现在,你可以想见,我不太情愿那么早起床高兴。而且有很多次,我在那儿睡着在餐桌上。但每当我抱怨的时候,我妈妈都会那样地看我一眼,她会说:“这是不适合我就很轻松,小子。” (笑声)

所以我知道你们有些人还在适应开学后的生活。但我今天来到这里,因为我有重要的事情要和你商量。我来这里是因为我想和你谈谈你们的教育,什么是对你们所有人的期望在新的学年。
现在,我已经给了很多关于教育问题的演讲。我多次谈到过责任问题。

我谈到过教师激励学生的责任,督促他们学习。
我谈到过你的父母为确保您走正路的责任,你会得到你完成家庭作业,不要整天坐在电视机前或在Xbox每个醒来小时。

我已经谈了贵国政府要制定高标准,支持教师和校长,和周围的学校,它们不工作,学生没有得到他们应该得到的机会,把很多责任。

但在这一天结束,我们拥有最敬业的教师,最支持的父母,是世界上最好的学校 - 没有它会有所不同,这一切没有问题,除非你将所有的履行自己的责任除非你出现了这些学校,除非你注意那些教师,除非你听你的父母,祖父祖母和其他大人的话在需要的艰苦工作取得成功。这就是我想要把重点放在今天:你们每个人对自己的教育责任。

我想开始的责任,你必须自己。你们每个人都有自己的擅长。你们每个人都有自己提供的。而你对自己有责任去发现那是什么。这是一个教育能够提供机会。

你或许能成为一个伟大的作家 - 甚至有足够写一本书或报纸上发表文章 - 但你可能不知道它,直到你写的英文论文 - 英语课上经常说的分配给您。也许你能成为一名创新者或发明家 - 甚至可能要拿出足够的下一个iPhone或新的药物或疫苗 - 但你可能不知道它,直到你为你科学课的实验项目。你或许能成为一名市长或参议员或最高法院的大法官 - 但你可能不知道,直到你加入学生会的工作或辩论队。

无论什么你想做的事与你的生活,我保证你会需要一个教育做到这一点。你想成为一名医生,或教师,或警务人员?你想成为一名护士,建筑师,律师或军人吗?你将需要为每一种职业,这些良好的教育。你不能辍学,碰上一个好工作。你必须接受培训,为之努力,为之学习它。

这不只是为自己的生活和你自己的未来非常重要。你将决定你的教育无非是这个国家的未来。美国的未来取决于你们。你今天在学校中学习,将决定我们作为一个国家是否能够满足我们未来所面临的最大挑战。

你需要的知识和解决问题的技巧,你在科学和数学学习治愈癌症,艾滋病等疾病,并开发新的能源技术和保护我们的环境。你需要在历史和社会研究的见解和批判性思维技能,你获得战胜贫困,无家可归,犯罪和歧视,使我们的国家更公平,更自由。你需要你的创造力和智慧在所有课堂,建立新公司,将创造新的就业机会和推动经济发展。

我们需要你们每个人发挥自己的天赋和技能,你的智力,因此您可以帮助老一辈人解决我们最困难的问题。如果你不这样做 - 如果你放弃学习 - 你不只是对自己戒烟,你对国家不负责任。

现在,我知道这并不容易做到学业优秀。我知道你们许多人在生活中面临挑战,可以使难以集中精力从事学业。

我明白了。我知道是什么滋味。我的父亲离开了家庭,当我两岁,我是一个单身母亲不得不工作,谁和谁时常为支付账单苦苦挣扎,但总是能够给我们的东西,其他的孩子已经长大。很多时候,我错过了我生命中有一个父亲。有好几次当我感到孤独,我觉得我不适合英寸

所以我并不总是像我应该做到的重点学校都上了,我做了一些东西,我没有骄傲,我更麻烦,我应该得到。我的生活可以很容易地采取了更糟糕的境地。

但是,我 - 我很幸运。我得到了许多第二次机会,我有机会去上大学,上法学院,跟随我的梦想。我的妻子,我们的第一夫人米歇尔奥巴马,她有着类似的经历。她的父母都没有上过大学,也没有很多钱。但他们非常勤奋,她奋力拼搏,使她有机会去这个国家最好的学校。

你们中有些人可能没有那些有利条件。也许你没有在你的生活的成年人谁给你的支持,您的需要。也许在你们家中有人失业,有没有足够的钱去走一走。也许你住的社区,你不觉得安全,或有朋友谁逼迫你们做的事情你知道是不对的。

但是在一天结束时,你们生活的环境 - 你的样子,你来自哪里,多少钱你有,你有什么打算在家里 - 都不是一个借口忽视你不做功课或者在学校态度不好。这是没有理由不回到你们的老师,逃学,或辍学的借口。没有理由不付出努力。

你在哪里目前的状况并不决定着你们的未来。没有人的书面决定你们的命运,因为在美国,你写你自己的命运。你让自己的未来。

这就是你们这样的年轻人正在做的每一天,全美各地。

像贾兹敏佩雷斯罗马市的德克萨斯州的年轻的人。贾兹敏根本不会说英语时,她刚开始上学。她的父母都没有上过大学。但她非常勤奋,成绩优秀,获得了布朗大学的奖学金 - 现在在读研究生,攻读公共卫生专业,她正在成为贾兹敏佩雷斯博士。

我在想安多尼舒尔茨,从位于加利福尼亚州洛杉矶,谁打脑癌,因为他是三个。他不得不忍受各类治疗和手术,其中一次影响了他的记忆,所以他花了更长的时间 - 额外的数百个小时 - 做他的功课。但他从未落后。他今年秋季将迈进大学。

然后还有的从我的芝加哥,伊利诺伊州家乡特尔史蒂夫。即使从寄养家庭弹跳,以促进在城市的最困难的社区家庭,她总算在一个地方医疗中心工作,启动一项计划,远离流氓团伙的年轻人,她对曲目的高中毕业的荣誉,去上大学。

和贾斯敏,安多尼特尔与没有什么不同的你们。他们面对挑战,在他们的生活跟你们一样。在某些情况下,他们已经得到了很多比你们差了许多。但他们拒绝放弃。他们选择为自己的生活负责,自己的教育,为自己设定的目标。我期待你们大家都会这样做一样。

这就是为什么我今天呼吁你们每个人都为自己的教育自己的目标 - 并尽一切可能来满足这些需求。你的目标可以像完成作业,上课专心听讲,或每天花一点时间读一本书一样简单。也许你会决定要参加课外活动,或在社区志愿者。也许你会决定挺身而出保护谁被嘲笑,或者因为他们是谁或他们如何看,因为你们相信,像我一样,所有年轻人都应该享有一个安全的学习环境和学习欺负的孩子了。也许你会决定更好地照料自己,以便你可以更乐于学习。而这些方针,顺便说一句,我希望大家要勤洗手很多,你会留下来,你从学校回家的时候感觉不舒服,所以我们能防止感染流感今年秋冬季节的人。

但无论你决定做什么,我希望你能坚持到底。我希望你脚踏实地地去做。

我知道有时候你从电视上,你可以是丰富的,没有任何艰苦的工作取得成功 - 你的票成功通过说唱篮球或成为真人秀明星。很有可能你不会成为其中的一员。

事实是,成功是件难事。你不会喜欢你学习的每一个主题。你不会与每一位老师,你有。不是所有的家庭作业似乎完全相关到您在这一分钟的生命权。而你不一定会成功做每件事的第一次尝试。

这没关系。世界上最成功的人有一些是谁经历过最多的失败。 J.K.罗琳的 - 谁写哈利波特 - 她的第一本书是哈利​​波特拒绝12次才最终出版。迈克尔乔丹曾被他的高中篮球队。他失去了几百场比赛,失去了在其职业生涯的投篮数千人。但他曾说过,“我已经失败了一遍又一遍在我的生活。这就是我成功的原因。”

这些人士获得成功,因为他们懂得:你不能让失败来限制你 - 你必须让失败来开导你。你必须让他们告诉你做什么不同的下一次。因此,如果你遇到麻烦,这并不意味着你是一个麻烦制造者,它意味着你需要更加努力采取行动的权利。如果你成绩不好,这并不意味着你比别人笨,而只表示你需要花更多的时间学习。

没人天生擅长做各种事情。在你通过努力成为东西。你不是主力队员第一次玩一个新的运动。你不打每一个音符,你第一次唱个歌。你必须练习。同样的原理也适用于你的学业。你可能需要做一道数学题做几次才把它的权利。你可能要把一些材料阅读几遍才能理解。你一定要做到一个文件之前,几易其稿的不够好手英寸

不要害怕提问。不要害怕寻求帮助时,你需要它。我这样做,每一天。请求帮助不是软弱的表现,它是一种力量的标志,因为它表明你有勇气承认自己不知道的东西,那然后允许你学到新的东西。所以找一个你信任的成年人 - 父母,祖父母或老师,教练或辅导员 - 让他们帮助你走正路,以满足你的目标。

甚至当你在挣扎,甚至当你失去信心,你觉得其他人都放弃了你,永远不要放弃自己了,因为当你自己放弃自己了,你放弃自己的国家。

在美国历史的人谁不是在困难时刻退出。它是关于人谁继续前进,谁更努力,谁爱他们的国家做任何事情太多比他们最好。

这是谁的学生坐在你坐的250年前,并先后发动了一场革命,他们创建了这个国家的故事。年轻人。学生75年前谁坐在那里,你坐谁战胜了大萧条,赢得了世界战争,谁争取公民权利和把人送上月球。学生20年前谁坐在那里,你坐谁创立谷歌和Twitter和Facebook,改变了我们的沟通方式与对方。

所以,今天我要问问大家,什么是你的贡献会是什么?什么问题你要解决?你们将有什么发现?什么总统谁到这里20年或50年或100年说什么,你们都为这个国家所做的?

现在,你们的家人,你们的老师和我都竭尽所能,以确保您得到应有的教育,你需要回答这些问题。我正在努力为您的教室,更多的书籍,设备和电脑,你需要学习。但是你必须尽自己的一部分。因此,我希望大家认真对待这个问题的一年。我希望你把你所做的一切你最大的努力。我希望你们每个人都有伟大的事情。所以,不要让我们失望。不要让你的家人或你们的国家失望。最重要的是,不要让自己失望。让我们感到非常自豪。

非常感谢你们大家。上帝保佑你。上帝保佑美国。谢谢。 (掌声)

页: [1]
查看完整版本: 奥巴马在开学第一天的演讲 让您的孩子终身受益